Plantar fasciitis is caused by a tearing of the plantar fascial ligament that helps support the long arch of the foot. Part of the recovery of this torn ligament requires that you perform some physical therapy at home to help with the healing process.
Plantar Fasciitis Instructions:
- Perform stretching exercises 3-6 times/daily as demonstrated.
- Ice/massage foot.
Use frozen water bottle or tennis ball.
- Avoid walking barefoot at home.
Use pair of comfortable supportive house slippers.
- Wear supportive inserts and shoes when possible, avoid flats or sandals.
- Use medications as needed to moderate pain/inflammation.
- For example: Motrin, Advil, Aleve (do not use if you have stomach ulcers, gastric reflux or history of kidney disease). Take with food when possible.
Discuss steroid injections, custom orthotics, over-the-counter orthotics, and possible surgical intervention with your Foot & Ankle Specialist.